No aspect of home dog grooming requires as much devotion as brushing. Routine brushing keeps your pet’s hair clean and tangle-free, while keeping his skin healthy by stimulating blood flow, removing dead hair and distributing natural oils.
How often should you brush your dog? It varies from breed to breed and dog to dog but there are general rules of thumb. If he has a smooth, short coat, it should be at least once per week with a bristle brush or a quality, a 2-in-1 comb. The bristle brush can also be used on dogs with “double coats” (a soft undercoat and weather-resistant outer coat), such as Collies and Huskies. If he has a short, dense coat, brush several times a week with a wire slicker brush. If your dog has a long or silky coat, daily brushing is recommended with a steel pin brush or slicker brush. If he has a wavy or curly coat, use a fine, curved-wire slicker brush several times per week (recommended:daily, if time permits).
What You Need
- Finishing comb
- Wire slicker brush
- Bristle brush
- Steel pin brush
- Dematting comb
- Liquid detangler
Brushing Step by Step
Smooth, Short Coats (once per week)
- Use a bristle brush
- Gently brush from front to back. For best results, brush all the way down to the skin.
Short, Dense, Curly, Wavy, Double, Combination Coats (several times per week)
- Use a slicker brush to remove tangles and matting. Use liquid detangler or baby oil for stubborn tangles and mats, gently massaging it into the trouble spot with fingers.
- Use a bristle brush to remove dead hair
- Remember to comb the tail, too
Long, Silky Coats (daily)
- Use a slicker brush to remove tangles
- When encountering matting, gently brush out without excessive pulling. Use liquid detangler for stubborn tangles and mats, gently massaging it into the trouble spot with fingers.
- Follow up with use of a bristle brush
- Remember to brush tail and feet
All of the products you need to keep your dog’s coat in good shape are available from Pawticulars, New Mexican Kennel’s retail store. We’re open from 7:30 – 6:00 M-F, 8 – 5 on Saturday and from 3-6 on Sunday. Special orders are welcome. Please speak with one of our Customer Care Specialists or our Professional Groomer for recommendations on keeping your pet’s coat in good condition between grooming appointments.
For information on our Grooming Salon and Spa, visit our grooming services page or speak with one of our Customer Care Specialists at (505) 344-0158.
Information excerpted from pets.wahl.com